Has your medical condition changed since the last time you filled out our medical consultation questionnaire?
Contraceptive or birth control pills are a type of female contraception typically used once a day as a way of pregnancy prevention. Women can choose among a variety of pill types that contain different doses of synthetic progestogen and estrogen, reproductive hormones. Thus, you can explore your options and find a contraceptive combination right for your body.
When choosing your preferred treatment, you will be able to decide between two types of birth control pills. Rely on our doctor’s service and buy a contraceptive pill with confidence.
No appointment’s necessary, orders filled quickly
Your information is secured and private
Standard package with no stamps or markings
Dispensed by registered UK pharmacists
Frequently Asked Questions
What are birth control pills?
Women use contraceptive pills to prevent unwanted pregnancy and take a more controlled approach to family planning. The “pill”, as also referred to, enables women to decide whether and when they want to get pregnant by relying on a specific combination of female hormones, affecting the body in one of the three possible ways.
What are the most popular pill brands?
If you’re looking into a combined contraceptive pill list that is most frequently prescribed, you will come across some of the following brand names: Cilest, Femodette, Loestrin, Microgynon, Mercilon and Yasmin.
How does the contraceptive pill work?
Women can choose between two main types of contraceptive pills: the combined and the mini pill. These pills can prevent pregnancy in two different ways.
- Combined contraceptive pills: This type of pill is one of the most effective female contraception pills based on progestogen and estrogen that are contained in small doses. These synthetic hormones can affect the female body in three possible ways and prevent pregnancy by:
- Stopping the ovaries from releasing an egg
- Thickening the cervix fluid to prevent sperm from entering the womb
- Preventing egg growth by stopping the thickening of the womb lining
- Mini pills: The main difference between mini and combined contraceptive pills is that the mini pill consists solely of progestogen. This means that it has only one effect on the female body. This type of pill prevents conception by stopping sperm from entering the womb. In some cases, the mini pill may be less effective.
What are the most well-known contraceptive pill names?
The list of the most well known and frequently prescribed contraceptive pill brands in the UK includes:
- Cerazette is an effective type of contraceptive suitable for breastfeeding women. These pills consist solely of progestogen.
- Clairette pills are a convenient birth control solution that is also often used as a type of treatment for acne and rosacea.
- Loestrin pills are low in estrogen and have a mild effect on the body. Aside from being a highly effective contraceptive, these pills can also make periods less severe.
- Logynon is another popular solution or pregnancy prevention. Women can easily use these pills since they are colour-coded. Logynon also alleviates menstrual symptoms.
- Marvelon offers numerous benefits, including lighter and shorter periods and less severe menstrual symptoms. These contraceptive pills contain both types of hormones in low doses.
- Mercilon pills are gentle to the body and enable women to regulate their menstrual cycles in addition to preventing pregnancy.
- Microgynon pills are an effective and easy-to-use birth control solution. They consist of both progestogen and estrogen, which makes them a combined contraceptive.
- Noriday pills represent mini pills since they contain only progestogen. They are effective in 99% of cases and are even suitable for breastfeeding women.
- Ovranette is a brand of combined contraceptive pills that offers a success rate of 99%. They also enable women to achieve better menstrual regulation.
- Rigevidon pills also bring ease of use, offering a high level of birth control effectiveness of up to 99%/ They are based on the combination of estrogen and progestogen.
- Qlaira pills are another effective way to prevent conception while simultaneously bringing period relief. Women taking these pills often have greater menstrual control and experience lighter and more regular periods.
- Yasmin contraceptive pills come in labelled packets for a greater level of convenience. They are a highly effective type of contraceptive pills that can also alleviate period pain.
How do you know which birth control pill is right for you?
Which one of the mentioned brands you will choose depends on your individual case and body. In consultation with a medical professional, you can find birth control pills in the UK that suit you and can provide you with optimal results both in terms of pregnancy prevention and menstrual relief.
Your medical professional will take numerous considerations into account when advising you on the most appropriate type of pill, including your medical history, age, menstrual characteristics, whether you have given birth, etc.
Here are a few guidelines that you should follow when choosing a contraceptive pill:
- Discuss your options with a medical professional during your consultation.
- Compare the advantages of both combined and mini contraceptive pills.
- Don’t forget to discuss or research possible side effects
- Consider your existing medical conditions
What are the advantages of taking the pill?
Some of the main benefits of contraceptive pills include:
- Prevention of unwanted pregnancy
- Control over the menstrual cycle
- Alleviated menstrual symptoms
- Uninterrupted sexual relationships
What are the advantages of the combined contraceptive pill?
The combined pregnancy pills are one of the most popular solutions among women for the following reasons:
- They are a highly effective type of birth control pills.
- These pills can alleviate the symptoms of menstrual periods.
- The combined pills ensure the regularity of menstrual cycles.
- This type of pill also minimizes your risk of developing womb, colon, or ovary cancer.
However, it’s important to mention that combined pills may lead to certain side effects, especially at the beginning of your birth control treatment. These side effects include weight gain, mood swings, skin problems, and, in some cases, higher chances of developing blood clots.
Of course, this depends on each individual case, which means that you may experience some or all of these symptoms. This is why it’s important that you find the right type of contraceptive pill for your body.
What are the advantages of the mini pill?
These pills are a bit less popular than the combined contraceptives, but they still offer an array of benefits:
- They offer ease of use since you need to take them every day.
- There is no risk of developing blood clots since they are progestogen-based.
- These pills are suitable for a great number of women, including those who breastfeed.
Nonetheless, the mini pill also has some disadvantages when compared to the combined pill. Namely, mini contraceptives are typically less effective than the other type of birth control pills. In addition, since they don’t regulate the menstrual cycle, you may also experience “breakout” or irregular bleeding.
Want to Know More About the Pill?
Unfortunately, there is no straightforward answer to this question. It all depends on your individual case and body type. Therefore, you should carefully consider your options, consult with a medical professional, and conduct extensive research to find a contraceptive pill that suits you most.
Additionally, if you feel that the pill you’re taking is too difficult on your body, you can always find an alternative solution. In this case, it’s always advisable that you consult your doctor, discuss the negative effects you’re experiencing, and seek their advice on the possible alternative treatment.
If you’ve found the type of contraceptive pill that suits your body and provides you with the desired results, you can easily get your preferred contraceptive pill online. Here at true Medical, we stock a wide range of both mini and combined pill brands.
We enable you to obtain the birth control pill of your choice with ease, convenience, and complete security. So, if you’re wondering “where can I get birth control pills without seeing a doctor?”, True Medical is the answer!