The Avamys nasal spray is a corticosteroid medication that’s used to treat allergic rhinitis and hay fever. The primary active ingredient in the Avamys spray is fluticasone furoate.
What is Avamys and how does it work?
The Avamys nasal spray, UK is a corticosteroid medication that alleviates the symptoms of hay fever or allergic rhinitis. Avamys is based on a corticosteroid called fluticasone furoate. When administered into the nasal cavity, Avamys decreases inflammation and stops the release of chemicals that trigger unpleasant and debilitating allergic reactions to pollen and other irritants.
As the active ingredient in Avamys, fluticasone furoate is able to provide long-term relief from the discomfort caused by allergic rhinitis in as little as 8-24 hours after administering a dose. It usually takes a few days for Avamys to achieve its full effect.
The symptoms Avamys can help you with include:
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes
- Watery eyes
- Blocked nose
- Relief of sinus difficulties
What’s the correct way to use Avamys nasal spray?
Avamys should be used in the treatment of allergic rhinitis (ie., hay fever), which is a condition that occurs when the patient’s immune system becomes overly sensitive to substances that shouldn’t bother it (for example, pollen and dust). This results in a variety of different allergic reactions that affect the nasal cavity.
The Avamys nasal spray comes in a 27.5 microgram daily dosage. It requires preparation prior to first use, or if the cap has been left off for three days or longer. This is necessary in order to make sure you receive the full dose.
Here’s how to prepare Avamys nasal spray for use:
- Step #1: Give the spray a good 10-minute shake.
- Step #2: Squeeze the sides of the cap to make it come off.
- Step #3: Hold the spray upright and make sure to point the nozzle away from yourself.
- Step #4: Firmly press on the button to make the spray pump a fine mist into the air. Do this 4-6 times.
Once the Avamys nasal spray is ready to be used, perform the following steps:
- Step #1: Vigorously shake the spray.
- Step #2: Uncap it.
- Step #3: Blow the air out of your nostrils and tilt your head to a forward position.
- Step #4: Put the nozzle on the Avamys nasal spray into one of your nostrils.
- Step #5: Press the button on the spray to pump the medicinal mist into your nasal cavity. Make sure to breathe it in through your nose as you do this.
- Step #6: Take the nozzle out of your nostril and let your breath out through your mouth.
- Step #7: Repeat steps 3-6 with the other nostril.
- Step #8: Once you’ve taken your daily dose, put the cap back on the nasal spray.
What is the recommended Avamys dosage?
This depends on the patient’s age and your physician’s recommendations. To be safe, you should always follow your doctor’s advice when it comes to your Avamys dosage. Furthermore, you should skip any doses you missed. Never double the dosage to make up for a forgotten dose.
The generally recommended Avamys nasal spray dosages are:
- Adults and children older than 12 should administer two sprays per nostril at the same time of the day, once a day. As soon as the symptoms of hay fever become manageable, you should reduce the dosage to a single spray per nostril at the same time of the day.
- Children aged 6-11 years should receive a single spray in each nostril once a day, at the same time of the day. If this isn’t enough to control the symptoms, consult with your doctor and have them increase the dosage until the symptoms have been brought under control.
If not emptied completely, the Avamys nasal spray may become contaminated after two months of the bottle being opened for the first time. If this is the case, throw away your nasal spray and make an appointment with your medical practitioner to get a replacement.