Also known as canker sores, mouth ulcers are small but painful lesions found in the mouth or at the base of the gums. Although not a serious condition, it can make eating, drinking, and talking difficult. Unlike, cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1), mouth ulcers are mostly not contagious and generally disappear after a week or so.
With that said, mouth ulcers can disrupt your day and can affect your daily routine, although minimally. You can use over-the-counter medications, such as Bonjela to treat your mouth ulcers and other mouth-related injuries due to dentures or braces. It has a combination of effective ingredients, which guarantees a fast-acting relief from the associated effects of mouth ulcers.
What Is Bonjela Good For?
Mouth ulcers are small lesions due to the loss or erosion or the mouth’s lining tissue. In most cases, mouth ulcers do not pose any harm and go away on their own after seven to ten days. Worst case scenario, mouth ulcers are symptoms of cancer.
Regardless of the severity, mouth ulcers can be quite annoying and painful. Treating them using Bonjela will provide relief and soothe the pain of these ulcers, including cold sores. It is a clear, almost colourless gel that is also used to treat sore spots or ulcers caused by braces and dentures.
What Causes Mouth Ulcers?
There are a lot of possible causes of mouth ulcers. Here are some:
- Biting the inside of the cheek accidentally
- Toothbrush injury, like slipping of toothbrush while brushing
- Constant rubbing against misaligned or sharp/broken teeth
- Rubbing against dentures or braces constantly
- Hot food burns
- Strong antiseptics, i.e., mouthwash irritations
- Viral infections, including herpes simplex viral infection (cold sore)
- Reaction to certain medications
- Skin rashes in the mouth, like lichen planus
- Autoimmune diseases
- Underlying vitamin or iron deficiency
- Underlying gastrointestinal diseases, i.e., Crohn’s disease or coeliac disease
- Oral cancer
Knowing the cause of your mouth ulcers will help you and your doctor to find the most suitable treatment to ensure it heals as soon as possible.
How does Bonjela work?
This medication’s active ingredients are choline salicylate and cetalkonium chloride. Choline salicylate acts as an anti-inflammatory pain reliever agent, which helps relieve mild to moderate pain and reduce swelling. On the other hand, cetalkonium chloride is a cationic quaternary ammonium surfactant, which is specifically designed to treat mouth ulcers and cold sores.
These active ingredients have a unique combination that helps provide fast-acting relief from the mouth-related ulcers. Like Bonjela Cold Sore Cream, it also helps cold sore blister heal.
What are the Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers?
How do you know that you have a mouth ulcer? Knowing whether the discomfort in your mouth is due to mouth ulcers is crucial when it comes to choosing what treatment for medication to use.
Here are some of the most common symptoms of mouth ulcers:
- Parts of the mouth’s skin lining has one or more painful sores
- Sores have swollen skin around them
- Tenderness in the affected area causing problems with chewing or tooth brushing
- Salty, spicy or sour foods irritate the sores
- Loss of appetite
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is best to consult your doctor or dentist before using any non-prescription medications to get proper diagnosis and treatment.